Thursday, June 2, 2011

A sad old world..

Today is a sad day for me, as some of you may know my mother passed away in January after a traumatic collision outside her local church resulted in a leg amputation and then ultimately to lapse into a coma soon after Christmas. Due to the complications in the English legal system  her funeral was delayed pending autopsies. She was eventually allowed to have her service at her church yesterday. Because of the time difference it was 1.30 am here, but I stayed up just so I could feel part of it. I had kindly been sent the order of service by the funeral directors which arrived just in time in yesterdays mail.
This blog is about life on dialysis and its effects on me, my work and my family. I never realised that it may impact on my life to the extent that I would miss my own mother's funeral, but the logistics of getting to the UK and arranging dialysis there and transport, not to mention the temporary removal from the transplant waiting list here all added up to my father asking me not to come as he was worried for my health, and agreed that mothers prime concern was my welfare and that she would not want me to endanger myself by flying over.
So here I remain, and having stayed up late last night to be at least conscious at the start of the proceedings was in some way comforting. I spoke to Dad just as the funeral directors arrived to take him down to the church and we both exchanged comforting words at this sad occasion but also one of celebrations for her life and works.
I feel so sad for him, but am impressed by his resilience and determination to carry on, and cant wait for my new kidney so I can travel freely and see him once more and lay some flowers at my mother's grave.

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry about your mother, and the ongoing heartbreak not being able to be in the UK to support your dad and grieve for your loss. Being a mom of a kidney patient I can only say she knows what you had to do was for the best. I really believe those who pass are always near those who loved them, and she is close now. She would never want you to feel bad, I'll bet. Perhaps find a local way to honor her, plant a tree or donate to a library, something to help you be at peace. I pray your miracle comes through and you get a good transplant and more freedom soon. Best wishes and deepest sympathy.
    Karol

    ReplyDelete