Friday, July 13, 2012

So Strange...

Steve Strange actually, lead singer and fashion personae of the New Wave 80's band Visage. Exponents of the New Romantic craze that morphed together androgynous style, moody electronic music, and flamboyant excess.
When not running his Blitz nightclub in London's West End, he could be espied in David Bowie's Ashes to Ashes video
But enough of fops and fashionistas. My visage these days is adorned by glasses. Over 40 years of diabetes has affected my eyesight, leaving me with optical adornments from Specsavers.
Quite dependant on them for reading and computer work, they have become an essential part of my daily life.
So imagine my disgruntlement when I tripped over Jinsy the boisterous kitten, completely shattering the aforementioned spectacles. Almost blind I considered using sticky tape to repair them, but this was a crime against Fashion.

Rather grumpily I arranged instead for a replacement pair to be ordered from the local optician, who asked me to come in for an eye test.
Unaware that my visual organs had been revising for an exam, I duly went anyway.

Now, in the after transplant care manual, it does advise that whilst taking prednisone, the steroid, it is wise to avoid changing glasses, or having eye tests, due to strong distortional effects that the drug can have on eyesight.
That would be a big oops then. Still needs must when kittens cause optic disasters.
Expecting to hear that my eyes were wildly distorting I feared the outcome, let alone the expense of having an incorrect pair made up. I laboriously described my medications, to which the optometrist raised her slightly bushy eyebrows, which hovered like circus trained caterpillars upon her visage.


Her dire predictions however proved to be baseless. My eyesight was exactly the same as the last prescription.

Further proof that my medicines have appeared to have stabilised after a year.

With my new glasses my fizzog now portrays a more retro style, but not quite as extreme as the Blitz days.

Oh and kitten may be fitted for his own glasses.so to avoid collisions in the future.



No comments:

Post a Comment