Monday, November 3, 2014

No, I'm fine really.......

In 1992 Opus III would have us believe that it was going to be a fine night tonight, and a fine day tomorrow, as can be evidenced by the fact that people were opening windows. This British house/techno dance tune encapsulated all that's modest and understated about the British mentality.
When stressed or angry, ill, or emotional (quite rare for Brits to get emotional - unless it's during the X factor finals), or just simply don't walk to talk, we Brits will always try to brush things off with "I'm fine", 

I too espouse the cliched vernacular, reassuring people that I'm fine. For example at the renal clinic this week, after being asked "how are things", I replied that things were just fine, thus bringing the conversation to a shuddering halt. 

For in English the phrase I'm fine often can be read as  "I don't want to talk".
On this occasion the answer was intended to keep the conversation as limited as possible, in order to avoid excessive parking charges!  

This leaning towards duplicity can be further seen in the following explanation of "British speak"...

1. “I'm fine” – I am moments away from a devastating mental collapse, so please leave me alone
2. “I’ll bear it in mind” – Let us never mention this again.
3. “I'm sure it’s my fault” – It’s your fault.
4. “Chuffed” – Experiencing heart-racing euphoria.
5. “Not too bad, actually” – I'm possibly the happiest I have ever been.
6. “A bit miffed” – I've been ripped apart by a tsunami of pain and sorrow.
7. “Down in the dumps” – Severe depressive episode.
8. “Under the weather” – Close to death.
9. “Gutted” – Suicidal.
10. “Peeved” – Consumed with rage.
11. “Can’t complain” – But I'm going to anyway.

12. “Oh dear” – A life-altering catastrophe has just occurred.

My particular favourite is number 10......





No comments:

Post a Comment